31 Oct How to Prevent Mold on Decks
Mold can be unsightly, but more importantly, uncontrolled mold can cause heath problems. Mold is caused my microorganisms. When those spores find a suitable living environment — one with moisture and a food source — they begin to reproduce and cause discoloration and health risks. Follow these steps to minimize your mold problems.
KEEP YOUR DECK DRY
- Mop up standing water.
- Remove awnings or other coverings for quicker drying.
CLEAN YOUR DECK REGULARLY
- Sweep your deck on a regular basis to remove mold spores and food sources, such as pollen and dirt.
- Power wash your deck (at no more than 1000 to 1200 psi) to forcefully remove spores.
- Clean the underside of your deck if you’re prone to mold. Mold thrives in darker areas.
CONSIDER A WATER-BASED STAIN
- Water-based stains are extremely resistant to mold and are easier to clean and maintain.
- Stains containing zinc nano-particles, such as Defy or Behr, will have better natural resistance to mildew.
- Beware of oil-based stains. The resins used in oil-based stains often contain materials that are food to mold, mildew and algae. Deal with potential mold risks on a consistent basis to better preserve your deck.